Thursday, September 18, 2014

Sylvain NOLA

625 Chartres St New Orleans

The story of the building at 625 Chartres is alluring. I read an article that said when Sylvain closes at night the bartender lights a candle and pours a Sazerac for a former madame who used to and maybe still inhabits the building. There are other cool stories that add to the noir chic vibe of this restaurant. Really though, I went there to eat. At night the dining room is dark, and everything feels old but elegant.

The food is worth coming back for and my server was amazing. Shoutout to Eleanor at Sylvain for being one of the best servers in New Orleans. You have to try the Wagyu Beef Belly that sits on a savory pancake that soaks up the delicious dark sauce. The beef was so tender I didn't use a knife. That gravy was a great connection between the pancake and the beef. My guess, this is Sylvain's most popular starter. I also would recommend the Squash Griddle Cakes.

I had a refreshing citrus champagne cocktail. But Sylvain's cocktail program emphasizes whiskey as the prevailing liquor. This evening was a quick visit to Sylvain but what lasted was the memory of dessert. Their Chocolate Pot de Creme was so good it would have been worth the visit by itself. The cream was so light and airy you could barely feel the dairy. The chocolate was like silk, just the right spot between rich and light.

Last note about Sylvain, the entrance is around the back. Because back in the day cool people didn't want the squares to get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment